This warm-up train is straightforward, however generally that’s simply what you want — a easy but enjoyable warm-up that will get your college students up and shifting round. This train can be quiet — no talking allowed! It’s a good way for college kids to observe particular person mime and tableau expertise in a low-pressure setting, for the reason that complete group is shifting on the identical time.
Elephant Stroll is nice for college kids at any ability degree. You’ll discover some adaptation concepts beneath for extra superior learners. It’s additionally helpful for serving to your college students loosen up and be foolish collectively, in addition to serving to you get to know your college students higher. You’ll be capable of gauge their base effort and risk-taking talents. How far are they prepared to push themselves out of their consolation zone? Give it a try to discover out.
- Have college students unfold out across the room, standing in a impartial place (ft flat on the ground, palms by sides). In your cue, college students will stroll across the room at a medium to gradual tempo.
- Name out an animal for college kids to painting by way of their actions as they journey across the room. Once they hear the animal, they're to right away (and silently) transfer how they suppose that animal would. Select an animal that has the potential for various ranges and/or speeds of motion, corresponding to an elephant, giraffe, snake, crab, lion, gazelle, peacock, parrot — no matter you suppose will problem your college students! Encourage college students to make use of their complete our bodies and facial expressions to painting the animal.
- Name out “freeze!” Every scholar should freeze in place in a solo tableau till you name out the following animal. At that second, college students will begin shifting across the room as the brand new animal till you name “freeze” once more.
- Repeat as many instances as you would like with completely different animals.
- Talk about: What was the best a part of this warm-up train? What was essentially the most troublesome? What animal did you take pleasure in portraying essentially the most? Why?
Different: Have college students transfer across the room as in the event that they’re engaged numerous sports activities actions, corresponding to snowboarding, skating, rowing, swimming (there are numerous completely different varieties), dancing (once more, there are numerous varieties to select from), bobsledding, triple-jumping, or power-walking. Simply be certain that all motion is “non contact,” in case you utilize soccer as a immediate!
For superior drama college students: Have college students stroll across the room in an upright “human” model, however utilizing the animal/sports activities immediate as a information to tell their human character. They could plod like an elephant, or glide like they’re a snake. How can they make their actions extra delicate and nuanced, however nonetheless completely different from how they usually stroll?
You may also use the article Why You Must Rehearse in Your Character’s Sneakers as inspiration for another model of this train. Have college students stroll across the room within the footwear they’re at the moment carrying (or have them take their sneakers off in the event that they’re prepared) however name out numerous shoe prompts corresponding to sneakers, excessive heels, flip-flops, ballet slippers, scuba flippers, cowboy boots, or faucet sneakers. How can college students painting a unique model of shoe by way of their actions? How does the shoe immediate inform the remainder of their physique actions?
Kerry Hishon is a director, actor, author and stage combatant from London, Ontario, Canada. She blogs at www.kerryhishon.com.
Need to discover out extra about our latest performs, sources and giveaways?
Get on our record!