The Alliance Theatre has introduced its 2022-23 season, a lineup its creative director Susan V. Sales space calls “a celebration of pleasure.” The 54th season of Atlanta’s largest theater will function 9 productions, together with 4 world premieres on its two levels, the Coca-Cola Stage and Hertz Stage.
The season opens with a household present in mid-July, the world premiere musical The Unbelievable E-book Consuming Boy, impressed by Oliver Jeffers’ youngsters’s ebook. One other world premiere musical primarily based on a success ebook, Sara Gruen’s Water for Elephants, bookends the season, opening in Summer season 2023 (date to be decided). Highlights in between embody the regional premiere of the Pulitzer Prize-winning comedy-drama The Sizzling Wing King, directed by its playwright, Katori Corridor; and Everyone by Pulitzer finalist Branden Jacobs-Jenkins.
The complete schedule:
- The Unbelievable E-book Consuming Boy, July 13-August 14, 2022: Jamil Jude, creative director of Kenny Leon’s True Colours Theatre Firm, directs this Household Sequence present. The world premiere musical is a few boy’s insatiable urge for food for data, primarily based on the ebook of the identical title by Oliver Jeffers. E-book by Madhuri Shekar, music by Christian Magby, lyrics by Christian Albright.
- Everyone, September 2-October 2, 2022: Impressed by the fifteenth century morality play Everyman, Branden Jacobs-Jenkins’ Everyone explores the which means of life and the roles we play alongside the best way. In step with life’s random twists and turns, the play’s performers draw names on stage every night time to find out which actor will play every character. Co-directed by Susan V. Sales space and Tinashe Kajese-Bolden.
- A Christmas Carol, November 12-December 24, 2022: The Alliance’s newest adaptation of the beloved Charles Dickens story, which premiered for the 2021 holidays, returns. Tailored by David H. Bell, directed by Leora Morris.
- Membership Hertz Presents: A Reward of Love with Adam L. McKnight, December 7-23, 2022: The Atlanta singer performs authentic songs and vacation classics in kinds from R&B to gospel and pop to opera.
- The Sizzling Wing King, February 10-March 5, 2023: Katori Corridor’s 2021 Pulitzer Prize-winning comedy-drama finds barbecue ace Cordell readying for Memphis’ annual Sizzling Wang Competition, aided by his beau Dwayne and finest mates who function his fry crew, The New Wing Order. However the warmth rises on a enjoyable night time of pre-competition prep when a household emergency forces Dwayne’s troubled nephew into the combo. All of a sudden, the first-place trophy isn’t the one factor that Cordell may lose.
- The Many Wondrous Realities of Jasmine Starr-Kidd, March 1-26, 2023: Winner of the Alliance/Kendeda Nationwide Graduate Playwriting Competitors, this world premiere by Stephen Brown facilities on a 12-year-old pc genius who can manipulate most every little thing within the digital realm however can’t resolve her mother and father’ separation within the earthbound one.
- The Boy Who Kissed the Sky, April 1-16, 2023: This Seattle-set world premiere Household Sequence musical is impressed by the youth and influences of rock icon Jimi Hendrix. Commissioned by Seattle Youngsters’s Theatre in partnership with the Alliance, play by Idris Goodwin celebrates younger artists who comply with their muse. E-book by Goodwin, music by Eugene H. Russell IV and Divinity Roxx, directed by Tim Bond
- Lonely Planet, April 26-Could 21, 2023: Written by Steven Dietz almost three a long time in the past, that is an intimate portrait of two mates navigating life on the top of an epidemic. Jody turns into more and more afraid of the world outdoors and the hazards it poses, refusing to go away his store, whereas his spirited good friend Carl begins filling the shop with a wide range of mysterious chairs. The Alliance calls it a “commentary on the worth of friendship and neighborhood throughout unsure occasions.” Directed by Susan V. Sales space.
- Water For Elephants, summer season 2023: Primarily based on Sara Gruen’s best-selling novel, this world premiere musical tells the story of a younger man who, operating away from tragedy, hitches a experience on a mysterious prepare and finds himself amid a touring circus. He finally ends up working because the present’s vet and falls in love with the ringmaster’s spouse whereas they prepare a brand new star attraction, Rosie the elephant. The Alliance guarantees “an journey stuffed with romance, deception and a bit little bit of magic, all underneath the large high of a touring circus.” Directed by Jessica Stone (Kimberly Akimbo), ebook by Rick Elice (Jersey Boys, Peter and the Starcatcher), rating by PigPen Theatre Co.
The Alliance additionally has introduced the 2022-23 season of its Kathy & Ken Bernhardt Theatre for the Very Younger, 4 productions introduced within the Selig Household Backbox Theatre:
- Do You Love the Darkish? September 28-November 16, 2022: Primarily based on the ebook of the identical title written by Maya Lawrence and illustrated by R. Gregory Christie and commissioned by the Alliance Theatre in partnership with the Mayor’s Summer season Studying Membership, this interactive play follows a younger lady throughout a sleepless night time making an attempt to beat her largest concern of all: the darkish. Path by Alexis Woodard.
- (Knock, Knock), November 30-December 23, 2022: A vacation celebration with residents of an condominium constructing the place surprises cover behind each door. Created and directed by Olivia Aston Bosworth and Samantha Provenzano.
- All Smiles, January 25-March 5, 2023: Created in partnership with the Marcus Heart for Autism, this present explores how all smiles are totally different. Created and directed by Tinashe Kajese-Bolden.
- The Lizard and El Sol, March 15-April 30, 2023: An interactive journey primarily based on a well-known Mexican folktale a few time when El Sol (the Solar) disappeared from the sky. With colourful puppets and Mexican-inspired music and dance, the play culminates in a competition celebrating the enjoyment of sunshine and friendship. Directed by Rosemary Newcott.
Aris to mount the ever-challenging “Ulysses”
Beloved by literature lovers the world over, James Joyce’s Ulysses is broadly thought of probably the most tough reads in any language, like conquering a literary Everest.
Now Aris Theatre, Atlanta’s troupe devoted to Celtic tradition, has introduced that it'll stage the North American premiere of Irish author-playwright Dermot Bolger’s adaption of Ulysses, June 16-26 at 7 Phases.
The pitch on Aris’ web site is fairly humorous: “It’s well-known! But most of us have by no means learn it. It’s BIG! So how am I ever going to get round to studying that?? It’s . . . steamy! Okay, go on . . .”
Steaminess and intercourse come up a couple of extra occasions, which might be a wise strategy to promote the problem of what Aris succinctly summarizes as “[following] Leopold Bloom as he walks the streets of Dublin, encountering the challenges and trials worthy of an historical epic:”
“As a result of the ebook is eighteen episodes, a stunning array of linguistic kinds, masking 265,000 phrases,” he stated, “it's a must to determine what to chop.”
Bolger’s technique was to hyper-focus on Ulysses’ emotional essence.
“Novels offer you plenty of scope, as a result of typically novels aren’t learn in a single sitting and also you’re in a position to have subplots,” he stated, “I simply had to determine the emotional journey of Bloom, and of [his marriage to Molly], what made their marriage. Ultimately I had to enter the areas of the ebook that almost all engaged my mental curiosity, but additionally most engaged my empathy.”
Atlanta winners of recent monologue competitors
LaNiyah Kelly of Dunwoody Excessive College just lately received the Atlanta Regional Finals of the Subsequent Narrative Monologue Competitors, a brand new nationwide program for highschool college students wherein they carry out works by a number of up to date Black playwrights.
Orchestrated by Kenny Leon’s True Colours Theatre Firm, this system replaces the troupe’s longtime August Wilson Monologue Competitors. In launching the Subsequent Narrative competitors, True Colours Inventive Director Jamil Jude sought to assist deliver new works by Black playwrights to American levels. The contestants are drawing from a 2022 compendium that features 41 monologues by 20 playwrights created particularly for the competitors.
Kelly received a $600 money prize and an all-expenses paid journey to New York Metropolis for the Subsequent Narrative Nationwide Finals to be held on the historic Apollo Theater on Could 2. Additionally heading to the Apollo shall be Atlanta Finals second-place finisher Zaria Williams, who attends New Manchester Excessive College in Douglasville. Williams received a money prize of $400. Third place and a money prize of $200 went to Jayden Griffin from Atlanta Classical Academy.
“Together with our publishing companion Theatrical Rights Worldwide, our imaginative and prescient was to develop a brand new repertoire of theatrical expression grounded within the Black aesthetic,” Jude stated, “however uniquely crafted and out there to younger thespians all over the place searching for age-suitable and related audition content material.”
Extra regional finals are being held in Boston, Dallas, Detroit, Milwaukee, New York, Pittsburgh, Seattle and New Haven, Connecticut. Some 18 college students from throughout nation are anticipated to compete within the inaugural nationwide finals subsequent month.