Method 1 returns to one in all its most iconic circuits this weekend for the British Grand Prix. For a number of drivers and over half the groups, Silverstone is their residence observe and maybe the religious residence of F1. Final yr’s British Grand Prix noticed an enormous flashpoint between Lewis Hamilton and Max Verstappen in what proved to be a season made for TV drama.
However a lot has modified within the yr since. Max Verstappen now dominates the standings whereas Pink Bull appears heading in the right direction to take their first Constructors’ Title in 9 years. And it’s not Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes they're battling, however a resurgent Ferrari. Whereas they’ve drifted not too long ago, Silverstone must be a observe Charles Leclerc sees success. Mercedes enters with a pair of British drivers for the primary time and hoping new upgrades see them difficult not just for the rostrum however the high step.
Earlier this week reviews broke that ESPN will safe a brand new contract with F1 on the finish of this season. The rising reputation in America is predicted to see the annual payment bounce from $5 million to $75 million.
The place Issues Stand
Verstappen (175) managed the Canadian Grand Prix two weeks in the past, extending his result in 46 factors. The hole grew due to his teammate’s breakdown (Sergio Perez, 129) and the closest rivals behind the Pink Bull pair — Charles Leclerc (126) and George Russell (111) — ending off the rostrum. With Austria up subsequent, a Verstappen stronghold, Ferrari and particularly Leclerc want an enormous response at Silverstone on Sunday.
Whereas Ferrari technically gained in Montreal by three factors due to Perez’s points, Pink Bull keep a stable lead, 304 to 228. Mercedes proceed to occupy third reasonably comfortably (188), with the fascinating battle again in 4th. McLaren’s (65) high 4 spot appears below appreciable risk this season with Alpine’s (57) spectacular straight-line pace and Alfa Romeo’s (51) new and productive driver pair.
The 5.89 km (3.66-mile) circuit surrounds the outdated Royal Air Pressure Silverstone airfield and has been the house of British racing for over 70 years. First used because the opening Grand Prix of the 1950 season, the present model of the observe options 18 turns and two DRS zones. Identified for its high-speed corners and a number of passing alternatives, Silverstone usually provides up an exhilarating race. Lewis Hamilton has gained the British Grand Prix a report eight instances and is one in all 10 English drivers to win the house occasion.
How To Watch (all instances ET)
- British GP Preview Present: Thursday 6/30 – 1:00 pm – ESPN3/WatchESPN
- Observe 1 – Friday 7/1 – 7:55 am – ESPNU/ESPN Deportes/WatchESPN
- Observe 2 – Friday 7/1 – 10:55 am – ESPNU/ESPN Deportes/WatchESPN
- Observe 3 – Saturday 7/2 – 6:55 am – ESPN2/ESPN Deportes/WatchESPN
- Qualifying – Saturday 7/2 – 9:55 am – ESPN2/ESPN Deportes/WatchESPN
- Grand Prix Sunday (Pre-race Present) – Sunday 7/3 – 8:30 am – ESPN2/ESPN Deportes/WatchESPN
- Grand Prix Race – Sunday 7/3 – 9:55 am – ESPN2/ESPN Deportes/WatchESPN
DraftKings Sportsbook is providing odds on the race. Max Verstappen stays the general favourite at -105 after successful 5 of the final six Grand Prix occasions. Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc follows at +220, however then reasonably than the Pink Bull or Ferrari teammates, it’s Lewis Hamilton at +900. Again at his residence observe boosts his odds past what the Mercedes has been capable of ship up to now this yr. In case you are in search of longer odds, however an inspiring story, might George Russell (+1,200) or Lando Norris (+10,000) decide up their first-ever F1 wins on the British Grand Prix?
What to Watch For
- Silverstone’s easy floor was repaved a couple of years in the past and the quick corners will give Mercedes the primary probability to retest their upgraded automobile flooring since Barcelona. They're bringing a number of upgrades this weekend which ought to enhance their bouncing points and enhance their tempo. For a workforce used to successful constantly, it’s been a troublesome season, and the way they might like to return to the entrance on the British Grand Prix.
- Can anybody cease Pink Bull? Seven wins from 9 Grand Prix occasions. Once they’ve completed a race, they haven’t been out of the highest 4. And whereas Perez’s difficulty final trip raises Pink Bull's reliability points for the primary time since Australia, for the time being it appears solely they will forestall a possible double-championship.
- Ferrari must halt their slide. Silverstone’s observe traits ought to play to Ferrari’s strengths, very like Barcelona. After three straight rounds of errors and failures from the Italian aspect – Spain (Leclerc retirement), Monaco (pit technique blunders costing them the 1-2), & Baku (one other Leclerc retirement) – they started to regain their footing in Montreal (2nd and fifth). It’s time for a full response to reignite the driving force and workforce championships.
- Lando Norris remains to be trying to find his first F1 victory. After ending sixth final season within the Drivers’ Championship, McLaren has not offered a constant trip on this new period of rules. Norris’ finest F1 end at Silverstone was 4th final season however he gained the occasion again in 2017 as a part of his F3 Championship season. Ending nicely outdoors the factors in Montreal (fifteenth), Lando might be hoping for a house bounce on Sunday.
- Whereas Alpine completed a distant fifth final season, based mostly on potential alone they might simply land in 4th forward of McLaren. The Alonso-Ocon duo have resulted in 12 high ten finishes from a potential 18. With a multi-time World Champ and race-winner, together with the highest F1 prospect in Oscar Piastri, Alpine’s future appears vivid.
- Might Alfa Romeo find yourself because the shock workforce of the season? Final yr the Italian workforce completed in ninth place with simply 13 factors. They surpassed that by the fourth spherical of the season due to a powerful automobile and a smart resolution to reshuffle their driver lineup. Valtteri Bottas’ expertise and Zhou Guanyu’s spectacular runs for a rookie have Alfa Romeo on tempo for his or her finest end in a decade.